Using tablets with students who have problems in listening and speaking activities and recognition of sounds has many advantages, but also some drawbacks. In this article, we will try to discuss the use of a tablet in those circumstances.
Advantages of listening and speaking audition and language with the tablet
The use of devices such as tablets is becoming widespread in the classroom and its impact is evident and positive. But there is not much information about how it has been introduced in some educational specialties such as therapeutic pedagogy, psychomotricity or education in values, nor with regard to hearing and language or school speech therapy. How can it be used in them? What are its benefits? And what are the difficulties of use?
- The tablet, thanks to its features but also the ability to install thousands of applications, has a number of advantages for the work of the master of hearing and language:
- Your camera makes it much easier to create a bank of real images through which to carry out listening and speaking activities with students.
- It allows configuring a pictographic agenda with which to anticipate routines with students with generalized developmental disorder.
- It speeds up the introduction of a communication board when this alternative system is necessary as a means of interaction with the children who need it.
- It opens a wide range of possibilities to work on auditory discrimination, accessing more realistic sounds with more nuances beyond simple general recognition.
- It offers the opportunity to work the exercises with more motivating images and characters of drawings that make the students enjoy the listening and speaking activities interacting with significant characters for them. It makes it possible to easily adapt the level of the exercise that you want to work at each moment at the student level I must do it.
- It facilitates the making of both voice and video recordings that serve as feedback in the correction of articulation problems.
What should be avoided?
Along with these unquestionable advantages, the generalization in the use of the tablet in the auditory and language classroom to learn listening and speaking activities has certain drawbacks that must be avoided so that the work carried out by the professional and by the students is directed in the right direction.
Excessive use of the tablet:
- It makes the student perceive the class as a recreational and recreational moment. Therefore, when other types of exercises such as praxis, as a breath are raised, they can generate rejection.
Relativisms the real experience:
- A ringing bell is not a button on the device that sounds like a bell; reality should never be replaced by the multimedia experience. Generates passivity in the students, being often pending what is proposed on the screen and losing their personal initiative, something very important.
- It often distorts the work of the master of hearing and language if it generates the impression of listening and speaking activities that it is limited to managing the applications to work, without due explanation and without the correct selection of the work.
I think that a tablet is an excellent tool in the classroom of hearing and language and a fantastic window to a wide range of experiences and possibilities, but always with adequate management and adequacy on the part of the professional.