The close of Google+ is something that we have been watching for months. The security breach found in October last year was a lethal blow to the service, to which is added the scarce activity that is recorded by users. Its closure was scheduled for 10 months later, but it was ahead of April, specifically, as we have learned today, on April 2.
You have until then to download the Google+ data. These are summarized in the +1 that you have made on the websites, the Google+ circles in which you participate and the communities. It does not have more, but if you had some important thing saved or some publication that you want to keep, it does not hurt to have a backup copy. Let’s see how to do it.
Your life on Google+ in a .zip file
Select what you want to download, choose the format and configure the delivery method. Easy and simple.
To download the Google+ data you have to go to Google Takeout. This service of the Great G serves to download each and every one of the things that you have done or have in Google, from your emails to the files of Google Drive, through Google Photos, Blogger, etc. You can access from this link. Once inside, follow the following steps …
- Click on “Do not select any”, it is faster to choose them manually.
- Locate the options “+1 Google+ on websites”, “Google+ circles” and “Google+ communities”. You can also check “Hangouts” and “Hangouts on Air” to receive messages.
- Select the formats by clicking on the little arrow that appears on the left. The most friendly are vCard and HTML, but since each section has different formats, choose the one that controls the best.
- When you have it tied correctly, select the “Next” button at the end of the whole.
- Now you can customize the format in which you will download your data. Choose .zip, the maximum size of the file you will receive (if you choose 2 GB and the file weighs 8 GB, they will send you four files) and the delivery method. You can choose between obtaining a download link or importing the content to Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive and Box.
- Click on “Create file”.
After a few minutes, and depending on the delivery method you have chosen, you will receive an email with a download link or you will see all the files imported into the cloud service. Easy and simple. If you had something important saved on Google+, at least now you will not lose it forever. The deletion process will begin on April 2, as we said before, and from Google they say it will take time, but it’s better not to wait until the last day.